PROVIDED BY: FARMERS ARMS HOTEL, DAYLESFORD
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 500g butternut pumpkin peeled and diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 650g crushed tomato
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 can 5 Bean Mix
- 1tbsp dried mint
- Small bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Natural yogurt to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large lidded pan over a medium heat and cook the onion for about
10 minutes or until it appears soft and translucent, without browning.
- Add the diced pumpkin and garlic to the pan and cook for 8-10 minutes until softening
at the edges. Add the spices and stir for a minute or so to ensure everything is coated
- Season generously then add in the tomato, sugar and 250ml of water and give it a stir.
Cover with a lid, reduce the heat and cook gently for 20-25 minutes (stirring occasionally
and adding a splash of water if it begins to look a little dry) or until the pumpkin has
- Once pumpkin has cooked through, remove the lid, stir well and add the beans, and
parsley (save a little parsley for plating).
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a separate small pan over a medium heat. Add the dried mint and
heat for a few minutes, ensuring it doesn’t burn, then remove from the heat and set
- Serve the ragout in a big bowl with dollops of yogurt, scattering over the remaining
parsley and the hot mint oil.
Wine Pair: Passing Clouds Pinot Noir
Check out: Farmers Arms Daylesford