Makes: 10 – 12
Plain flour – 200g
Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
Bicarbonate of soda – 1 teaspoon
Buttermilk – 450ml
Butter – 1 tablespoon, melted
Eggs, free-range – 2 large
Milk – 100ml
Blueberries – 100g
Vegetable oil – up to 150ml
- Using a sifter or fine sieve, sift flour with baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl mix together buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
- Make a well in the flour mix and slowly add the buttermilk mixture. Using a wooden spoon or a whisk, draw the dry mix into the wet, mixing well, until you have a smooth batter.
- Stir in milk with 1/2 of the blueberries.
- Heat a heavy based frying pan over medium heat. Spray with a little of the oil from your spray bottle (p11).
- If your pan is big enough to fit two small pancakes, add a small ladle (1/2 cup) of batter mix to one side of the pan to make an approximately 8cm pancake.
- Add another ladle of batter alongside if your pan is big enough, otherwise cook the pancakes one at a time.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the mix begins to set and bubble and is browned underneath.
- Flip pancake over with an egg slice or palette knife and cook for one more minute.
- Transfer to a plate and repeat process until all batter is used up.
- Serve plain, dusted with icing sugar or with cream and more fresh blueberries.