- This event has passed.
Redbeard Historic Bakery Bread Baking Workshop
March 17 @ 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 10:00am on Sunday, repeating until March 31, 2019
Each comprehensive full-day hands-on workshop covers:
- making your own sourdough leaven to harness the power of complex wild culture fermentation
- kneading, shaping and prooving loaves in tins, cloth and baskets
- a short history of baking and ovens, and how to get the most out of your oven
- using different types of flour and milling your own
- how to recognise well made bread
- cooling and storing bread
Who leads the workshops?
John Reid, founder of RedBeard, with almost three decades of sourdough baking experience leads the workshops.
- The cultural history of real traditional wildferment “sourdough” breads – why they taste so good and are so good for you
- To knead, shape, proof and bake classic “sourdough” loaves
- To make and maintain your own wildferment “sourdough” starter culture (leaven)
- Luscious locally-sourced lunch, bottomless tea/coffee and snacks from our café
- The loaves you shaped and baked, your new leaven, a bag of organic rye flour to feed it, and comprehensive printed notes including bread recipes plus valuable baking tips
- 10% discount off any baking equipment, flour, etc, purchased on the day
- On-going support for your bread-baking journey