Each comprehensive full-day hands-on workshop covers:
- making your own sourdough leaven to harness the power of complex wild culture fermentation
- kneading, shaping and prooving loaves in tins, cloth and baskets
- a short history of baking and ovens, and how to get the most out of your oven
- using different types of flour and milling your own
- how to recognise well made bread
- cooling and storing bread
Who leads the workshops?
John Reid, founder of RedBeard, with almost three decades of sourdough baking experience leads the workshops.
- The cultural history of real traditional wildferment “sourdough” breads – why they taste so good and are so good for you
- To knead, shape, proof and bake classic “sourdough” loaves
- To make and maintain your own wildferment “sourdough” starter culture (leaven)
- Luscious locally-sourced lunch, bottomless tea/coffee and snacks from our café
- The loaves you shaped and baked, your new leaven, a bag of organic rye flour to feed it, and comprehensive printed notes including bread recipes plus valuable baking tips
- 10% discount off any baking equipment, flour, etc, purchased on the day
- On-going support for your bread-baking journey
- Your enthusiasm and an apron (or consider pre-purchasing a special RedBeard apron for the class to take home)
Comfortable summer wear – the bakery is always warm from the glow of our enormous 19th century wood-fired scotch oven. Closed toe, flat shoes.
Anyone interested in baking – over the age of 16!
Bookings may be refunded or moved to another available date up to two weeks before the date booked. Under two weeks no changes can be made.